The beginning of a new year is a great time for setting new health goals to work toward over the next 12 months. One of the most common resolutions people have is to lose weight, but getting started on working toward that goal can sometimes be even harder than completing it! In this blog post we’ll cover a few tips for coming up with good weight loss goals, staying motivated on completing them, and check out a new resource on our website you can use to find more advice.
The first and most important step toward losing and keeping off weight is setting realistic goals. Think about your schedule during the day:
- How much time can you commit to increasing physical activity?
- Do you have time to prepare a healthy breakfast or lunch?
Build your goals around your life! If you only have time to aim to lose one or two pounds a week then work seriously toward that goal! Make small mini goals for yourself which can be more attainable and less overwhelming. Reward yourself when you hit a goal – big or small. You deserve it!
Many people say that the most difficult part of losing weight is staying committed to their goals for a long period of time. Here are three things to keep in mind as you start working on your weight loss goals:
- Write down a list of things you would like to do once you reach your weight goal. Perhaps one item on your list would be trying on a new piece of clothing that didn’t fit you before. Keep this list somewhere visible and look back at it whenever you feel unmotivated
- Don’t overexert yourself. If your body isn’t used to lots of physical activity, pushing yourself hard on your first day will leave you exhausted and uninterested in doing it again the next day. Start slow and remember that 22 minutes a day is all you need to start seeing the benefits of physical activity!
- Find a friend or family member who is also interested in losing weight and work together with them. One thing to keep in mind though is teamwork is a two-way street! You may need to motivate them to keep working towards their goals as well as yourself.
Interested in finding more weight loss tips? Check out our new Weight Loss section in Healthy Moves! Check out our recipe database to find low-calorie meal ideas perfect for your diet or find a cooking class near you with our Nutrition Workshop calendar!